Prednisone (Generic) is a hormonal drug, and it is a glucocorticoid.
Prednisone (Generic) is a synthetic glucocorticoid, a dehydrated analogue of hydrocortisone. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, desensitizing, anti-shock, anti-toxic and immunosuppressive, anti-pruritic and anti-exudative effect.
Interacting with specific cytoplasmic receptors, Prednisone (Generic) forms a complex that penetrates into the cell nucleus, stimulates the synthesis RNA (ribonucleic acid), inducing biosynthesis of proteins (including lipocortin).
The pharmacological action of the Prednisone (Generic) for systemic use (tablets, injection solution in ampoules Prednisolone):
• Protein metabolism: reduces the content of globulins in the plasma, increasing synthesis in the liver and kidney albumin (with an increase in the ratio of albumin/globulin);
• Increases protein catabolism in muscle tissue;
• Lipid metabolism: stimulates the synthesis of triglycerides and higher fatty acids;
• Redistributes fat deposits, moving them mainly in the area of the face, shoulder girdle, abdomen;
• May lead to the development of hypercholesterolemia;
• Carbohydrate metabolism: enhances the absorption of carbohydrates from the digestive tract (gastrointestinal tract);
• Increases the flow of glucose from the liver due to the growth of glucose-6-phosphatase activity;
• Increases the activity of PEPC (phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase) and improves the synthesis of aminotransferases by activating gluconeogenesis;
• May lead to the development of hyperglycemia;
• Water and electrolyte balance: retains sodium and water in the body;
• Stimulates potassium excretion due to an increase in mineralocorticoid activity;
Prednisone (Generic), when used as an ointment, has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, antipruritic and anti-exudative effects. Also, it inhibits the formation of arachidonic acid, the formation and release of inflammatory mediators (prostaglandins, histamine, lysosomal enzymes, leukotrienes, etc.)
Prednisone (Generic) suppresses inflammatory skin reactions, reduces vasodilation and increased vascular permeability in the inflammatory focus.